Monday, November 08, 2010

My 3 Highlights of the Black Girls Rock! Awards Show

Last night, I watched the highly anticipated BET's "Black Girls Rock!"Awards show. The show was amazing! It was very positive and uplifting. I would like to send a big thank you to Beverly Bond, the creator of Black Girls Rock! According to BGR's website, the organization seeks to "build the build the self-esteem and self-worth of young women of color by changing their outlook on life, broadening their horizons, and helping them to empower themselves." Instead of writing a full recap, I decided to just write about my 3 favorite parts of the show. 1. Nia Long! She hosted the 5th annual Black Girls Rock Awards Show. I personally think they could not have picked a better host. She's been one of my role models since her days of Boyz In the Hood and Made in America. She always has such a great attitude. 2. Ruby Dee received the Living Legend award. I tweeted last night that she was one of the most important people of the night. I was near tears when I listened to Ruby Dee speak before she accepted the award. This was the best part of the night for me. She's meant so much to the struggle of African Americans. So much. Check out her video below. 3. Kelly Price, Jill Scott, Marsha Ambrosius, and Ledisi performed the profound "Four Women" by. Nina Simone. I loved it! Ledisi really stole the show with that VOICE. "My name is Peachessssssss!" Check out the video below if you missed it.
What were your highlights of the show? If you missed it, you can catch it on Tuesday, Nov. 9th on BET or watch it online at www.bet.com
Photos and video from BET.
Make sure you are following me on Twitter & Facebook for more of my ramblings about hair and anything else I want to talk about. :-)

No comments: