Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Urban Therapy Twisted Sista Products Review


I've been wanting to do this review for awhile now. So here I sit at 2am in the morning making it happen! #newmama I love blogging ya'll. It's such a getaway for me so I'm wide awake. haha. You may remember a few months ago when I posted about Urban Therapy Twisted Sista asking anyone if they'd tried it. Urban Therapy is a London based company that recently made it's way over to the US. I've used the Curl Activator & the Different Strokes quite a few times so I'm armed with my review. Haven't tried out the Blow Dry Creme because I haven't blown out my hair....yet. ;-)


Curl Activator Says ($4.49/3.38 fl.oz): Twisted Sista Curl Activator puts the life back into tired saggy curls. Delivering volume, bounce, and curl definition to naturally curly, afro, or permed hair.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water) , Paraffinum Liquidum , Glycerin , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Cetyl Alcohol , Dimethicone , Petrolatum , Lanolin , Glyceryl Stearate , PEG-100 Stearate , Phenoxyethanol , Carbomer , Methylparaben , Fragrance , Xanthan Gum , Propylparaben , Potassium Hydroxide , Benzophenone-3 , Disodium EDTA , Tocopheryl Acetate , BHT , Benzyl Salicylate , Hexyl Cinnamal , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Limonene

Directions
Apply a generous amount into your hands & run it through wet or dry hair from root to tip adding more if need be.

  *******************************************************************

Different Strokes Serum Says ($4.49/1.01 fl.oz): Instantly eliminates frizz for both straight & curly hairstyles.

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Isopropyl Myristate, Fragrance, Benzophenone-3, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Benzyl Salicylate, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene

Directions: Apply serum into palms of hands and smooth through wet hair to defrizz. Style as usual. For instant shine smooth a small amount over dry hair.

My Review:
The first time I used the Curl Activator, I wasn't impressed at all. Great smell though. After washing my hair, I simply applied it to my wet hair & rubbed it throughout while defining my curls. After my hair dried, I noticed that my hair didn't feel as moisturized as usual. I used the Curl Activator alone without the Different Strokes Serum. I always like to see how a product works without adding anything added to it. It definitely has a thicker consistency than most products I use on my hair. No biggie. This was the 1st try...I usually give a product 3-4 chances before putting it on the shelf to collect dust. 

So the 2nd time I used the Curl Activator, I actually clarified my hair first & then applied it. My hair felt much better, but the true difference happened on the 4th of July. Let me just say this. I usually don't use a hair product that doesn't seem to be working for my hair on a day when I know I'll be taking a lot of photos (i.e. Christmas, my birthday, etc) So this was a big deal to me. So I washed & dc'ed as normal. This time I decided to do something different. I added the Different Strokes Serum to my hair after the Curl Activator. Ya'll that made all of the difference in the world. My hair doesn't like the Curl Activator alone. It soaks it ALL up. I have to apply the serum. I'm going to to seal with an oil next time to see how it does....

Here are some pics with both products in my hair....

  
Any ladies who use the Curl Activator alone???


Note: Urban Therapy sent me their products at no charge. I'm not obligated to write a positive review in return. My review consists of my honest opinion of the products.

Make sure you are following me on Twitter & Facebook for more of my ramblings about hair and anything else I want to talk about. :-) 

7 comments:

naturallady said...

I have never used it but my sister has, after combing her locs out a couple of weeks ago we washed and applied the activator while wet but after it dried it was a hot dry and crunchy mess.

Anna said...

I may need to try the curl activator. Your hair is lovely by the way.

http://anansah.com

Anonymous said...

Hi it is almost one am and I am just getting to bed after spending two hours detangling my daughters hair this is the worse product for hair I have EVER bought. The hair tangler caused her hair to shrink up into a ball of knots. I ripped out about half of it probably. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with this product and do not recommend it to anyone unless the are trying to make a rats nest out of their hair.

Anonymous said...

I use this product all the time along with 30 second curl spray it makes my hair go nice and curly my hair is naturally wavy, everyone's hair is different so its not going to take with everyone's hair but i would definantly recommend it

Anonymous said...

Getting ready to wash and try this product on my hair, in its natural texture it is deep and wavy, so here goes nothing...right?

Anonymous said...

I love just the curl activator. I'll have to give the spray a try. I have wavy hair. The under layer is much more wavy than the top. Which makes the top layer poofy. This has done wonders. I just wish I could find it in a store where I'm from. I live in VT and bought it at a walgreens in NV. I found it through amazon but for $9.00. Oh well. It's worth it to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Groupon has a sale going on for this product. I was trying to see what reviews have said before i buy it.