Monday, April 18, 2011

My Unexpected Delivery Pt. 1


The socks the hospital gave me to wear...the hubs has now confiscated them.

Hey girlies! Whew....I was supposed to write this post 2 weekends ago. I really overestimated myself by thinking I would have enough time & energy to post this over that weekend considering I was released from the hospital that Friday (April 8th). The Munchkin is still in the hospital, but I've been breast pumping every 3 hours & taking her milk. Thus, I'm tired EVERYDAY. I've been so anxious to tell you ladies about the arrival of the Munchkin. Totally unexpected. Monday (April 4th), I was scheduled for a doctor's appointment late in the afternoon. I was a few days shy of being 34 weeks preggie. So I texted the hubs while he was in route to the doctor's office telling him he didn't have to come to the doc's appt with me because I wanted him to rest or prepare for the MS 150 coming up. (The hubs participated in the MS 150 Bike Ride to Austin, TX for multiple sclerosis this past weekend.)

So...everything is going as normal. I arrive for my appt. the same as always. One of the nurses comes in to take my blood pressure. Now....throughout my whole pregnancy I have not had high blood pressure. It's always low. However, when she takes my bp it is around 175/120. -_- The nurse looks at me and says, "Okay, that's way too high. I'm going to let you rest for a moment & then come back in about 10 minutes to take it again." I'm thinking that's ok because when she comes back it'll be back to normal. So I laid down and proceeded to just relax. I wasn't worried at all. I just thought the machine made some kind of mistake. When the nurse comes back in to test my bp again it is still around 170. She checked me around 3 times & my bp remained high. : \ My doc comes in shortly after the nurse. It seems that along with my blood pressure being high, my urine also had protein in it. Now I'm nervous....and the hubs isn't there. She explains to me that it looks like I have preclampsia. She instructs me to go to the hospital (which is next door) & head up to Labor & Delivery. What!?! So I'm about to have the Munchkin?? But I'm 6 weeks early! I go to my car & call the hubs to let him know what's happened. We're both laughing because this was the most important doctor's appt I'd had & I told him to stay home. While I'm laughing, I'm still nervous & scared though.

When I get to Labor & Delivery, the nurses are ready for me. My doc called them to tell them what was going on. I'm shaking by this time. The nurses are making jokes....and they're not funny. They remind of the nurses from One Born Every Minute. I'm scared because I have no idea what's going on. I asked one of them if I would be delivering. She said, "Oh most likely you won't be delivering." That seemed to ease my mind. For the rest of the evening, I'm poked with needles & drugged. I was so hungry, but I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything.  After my doc's appt, I'd planned on going to the grocery store. It seemed like they were running a million tests on me. My bp is being taken every hour. The hubs stayed with me & then went home to gather some of my things. They told us I would be in the hospital for at least 24 hours. And did I mention I hadn't packed an overnight bag yet??? Sigh. While he's gone, my doc comes into the room & tells me I have severe preeclampsia. She tells me my organs are shutting down & the only way to cure preeclampsia is to deliver the baby. My cervix was nowhere near being thin enough to have a vaginal delivery. So she calmly tells me I'll be having a c-section the next morning around 8am. I could not believe it. My nerves were completely shot.

Make sure you are following me on Twitter & Facebook for more of my ramblings about hair and anything else I want to talk about. :-)


L. Michelle said...

Girl, I am so glad you posted because I was worried about you. Then I just went and looked at your FB wall and noticed that you had posted a few days ago. Whew! Wow, what a scary story, but GOD is able!!! I am so glad that you're okay!! So you had severe preeclampsia with no symptoms (other than the high BP)?!??! Did they say what brought it on?? Thank GOD that you had an appointment that day. Praying for you and the munchkin and hubby too!

K.D. said...

Hey L! :D

Awww I'm okay girlie. ;-) Can u believe it though?? I felt fine the whole day. My doctor said there's no way to determine what brings it on. I thought it was something I did...I wondered also what would have happened if I didn't have an appt that day! The only way to cure preeclampsia is to deliver the baby. Everything happens for a reason though. Thank you so much for praying for my family. :-)

Baby Shopaholic said...

I just had a friend have the same thing happen. Glad you guys are doing well. I will keep you in my prayers!

Thomas said...

Kenya Im glad to hear all is well and you and the baby are safe and well. God knew exactly what to do and when to do it. Im nervous because my wife is 5 months and I know its not much longer. Congrats again to you and your husband!!